Sunday, June 22, 2008

Kind of defeats the purpose

Riding from The Bronx Party in Manchester to The Battle of the Bands in Lavallette last week, I had the misfortune of taking Rt. 37 Westbound around noontime. I was prepared to be stuck in beach bound traffic for a good long time but was surprised. Sure, there was traffic. But even with the great weather the traffic was very light. I'm glad because it gave me the chance to people watch at 45 mph.
The yuppies were out. How could I tell? Let me set the scene. It is drop-dead gorgeous outside. The sun is shining. The temps are in the 80s. The convertibles are out sporting labels like Audi, Mercedes, BMW with two occupants beach bound. And what do you do with a convertible on a beautiful day? Ride with the top down, right? NOT! Each one of these yuppy-mobiles had the tops up and the air conditioners going. Excuse me, but doesn't that kind of defeat the reason why you have a convertible?
What perchance do they do once they reach the white sands of Seaside Heights? Probably dash into the Aztec for the air conditioning and umbrella drinks.
Ah, maybe they're just conscious of the harmful effects of UV rays. But then, why go to the beach?
Maybe it's just me.

No comments: